8 people hospitalized, Miami Navarro evacuated due to high levels of carbon monoxide

MIAMI – Several patrons of a Miami Navarro were hospitalized after showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to Miami Fire Rescue, crews responded to reports of multiple sick patients at Navarro located at 1601 West Flagler Street at approximately 10:30 am Saturday.

When they arrived, first responders found multiple people complaining of headaches and nausea, officials said.

“We arrived on the scene and we made entry into the building and we found a smell of exhaust,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Pete Sanchez.

Firefighters quickly evacuated the building and called into a hazardous materials team, which found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide, according to Miami Fire Rescue.

“When our hazardous material team arrived on the scene and monitored the air inside the building, they found that there were high levels of carbon monoxide,” said Sanchez.

The store had to be ventilated with electrical fans, officials said.

Ad

Navarro in Miami was evacuated due to high levels of carbon monoxide. (Miami Fire Rescue)

Outside the building, paramedics said they treated nearly 30 patients. Eight people showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning were taken to area hospitals in serious condition to be treated.

Officials believe a gas powered machine may have caused the incident.

“We believe that they were using a propane powered polisher to shine the floors before the business opened, and that does release carbon monoxide into the air, and that is what probably got these people sick,” said Sanchez.

The Navarro store has since reopened.

Copyright 2022 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.

Comments are closed.