Grandmother of Residence Invasion & Ambush Suspect speaks out – CBS Miami

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

HOMESTEAD (CBSMiami) – The grandmother of a 26-year-old man involved in a violent home invasion and the ambush and shooting of a mother early Thursday morning says she prays he did not commit the crimes.

CONTINUE READING: Boynton Beach man arrested after the remains of a missing woman were found in his backyard

She is particularly concerned because the grandson, 26-year-old Walter Luckett, was just released from prison on September 3 after serving six months on armed robbery.

In an exclusive interview with CBS4’s Peter D’Oench, emotional grandmother Mary Shavers said, “I cried all night and prayed to the Lord that he didn’t.”

“He’s a good kid,” she added. “He grew up in the church. I feel bad. I raised him in church. But Walter has his own mind. I am not responsible for what he does now. Now my heart goes out to this woman’s family. I am feeling so bad.”

The mother of two, Isalia Hernandez, 33, was flown to Kendall Regional Medical Center after being shot in the chest and arm. It was originally listed in critical condition.

Luckett and his brother, 23-year-old Wallace Brooks, are both charged with the home invasion that happened in Homestead just before 12:30 p.m. Thursday.

D’Oench also spoke exclusively to one of the victims of the home invasion, who asked that he not be identified and show only part of his face.

He said it all started when a woman knocked on his door.

“I opened the door to see if I could help her and a little little guy with a tattoo on his face came in first,” he said. “They had guns in their faces and asked me where the money and guns were. They took my wallet with money. My mother then tried to get up and I was worried about her. “

CONTINUE READING: Miami-Dade PD arrests 19 year old wanted for fatal triple shoot

A report from the Miami Dade Police Department said that one of the armed men had an AK-47 and was demanding money, guns and drugs. They fled after taking the victim’s money and threatening to kill him.

“I was scared because it’s my mother’s house and my son was sleeping,” said the 29-year-old victim. “How do I feel about it? There are no words now. I’m glad you got caught. If it weren’t for them, I would try to find them. Now I would like to know what is wrong with this woman who knocked on our door. Is she being arrested? “

Two and a half hours after the home invasion, Hernandez was ambushed and found in front of her home on SW 160th Ave. and 304th St. shot on returning home from work.

According to a police report, she saw the shooter standing on a street corner. She said he shot her after asking for her purse. He fled on foot.

Mary Shavers said Luckett and his brother were both arrested after the crimes while driving in their car. She said Luckett called her asking for help, so she picked him up and said she had no idea what he was doing.

“I can’t believe it,” she said. “And I think his brother was innocent of the home invasion.”

But the victim said he identified both Luckett and his brother after the incident when police took him to the scene and he saw them both sitting in police cars.

Luckett came before a judge in Bond Court and was asked if he had any mental health problems. He said he didn’t.

MORE NEWS: Two very different stories at two different federal COVID vaccination centers

Luckett faces a number of charges, including attempted crime and the possession of a firearm by a convicted criminal. He is facing another court appearance on Tuesday and is being held without commitment.

Comments are closed.