Miami Seashore will attraction the courtroom ruling and can proceed preventing for the final 2am name
MIAMI BEACH, Florida. – The Miami Beach City Commission decided Tuesday night whether to appeal a judgment by a judge who held a 2 a.m. break in alcohol sales to be unlawful.
Shortly before 8 p.m., the commission announced that it would proceed with the appeal.
“The city has rejected Clevelander’s settlement proposal and intends to appeal the court’s decision as soon as it is received,” Miami Beach prosecutor Rafael Paz said in a statement.
Last week, the Clevelander, an integral part of Ocean Drive, scored a major victory in court with this ruling. In May, the commission voted 4 to 3 ahead of the last call at 2 a.m.
Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber said Tuesday he was up for an appeal.
“I hope our city attorney and the commission support the appeal against the judge’s judgment,” he said. “To be honest, we cannot allow one part of our city to be controlled by someone else’s business model, namely drinking all night.”
The commission meeting on Tuesday started at 6 p.m.
David Wallack of Mango’s, another iconic location on Ocean Drive, said companies like his are wrongly blamed for crime and unruly behavior in South Beach.
“Mango’s is missing out on gross wages of $ 75,000 to $ 100,000 a week,” Wallack told Local 10 News Monday. “As soon as we have identified the cause of the problem, we can first start correcting the errors.”
The previous last call was for a few dozen bars in an area of the entertainment district that includes Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue.
“With 40 bars open all the time, other businesses are discouraging from coming here because who wants to live next to a bar open all day or somewhere where you can be as loud as you want,” said Gelber.
Copyright 2021 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.