Mom, 5 years outdated, continues to be recovering within the hospital after being rescued from the fireplace in a Miami condo
MIAMI – A 5-year-old boy and his mother who were burned to death in an apartment fire continue to struggle to survive at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
TJ Mack, 5, worked with physical therapists to move his upper body, according to his grandmother.
His mother, Stevangela Lankford, is still on a ventilator. According to family members, she suffered burns to 85% of her body.
“She’s still fighting. I believe in God for their miracles, ”said Lankford’s mother, Angel Lankford. “She has a long way to go in recovery.”
The fire occurred on the morning of April 12th at her apartment near Northwest 20th Street and 5th Square in Miami.
Lankford reportedly grabbed TJ to escape the flames, but smoke overwhelmed her and collapsed. Fire rescue pulled both of them out of the burning apartment.
“[T.J.] remembers everything. He tells me, ‘My mother was screaming,’ said Lankford.
The apartment that all three family members share is uninhabitable, Lankford said.
“We are still homeless. Because I’m in the hospital with him. I still haven’t [anywhere] Life. So it’s like it’s on a trip right now. It really is a journey, ”she said.
The family has set up a GoFundMe page which you can find here.
Copyright 2021 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.